The #buybritishthischristmas Gift Guide: Part I

Monday 1 December 2014

Edit 01/2/2014
I had a few troubles with my ability to post my gift guide last week, a weekend condemned to work gave me very little opportunity to rectify, but the weekend that proceeded was Black Friday Weekend. Apparently named so because it’s the day of the year the brands go back into the black; a stolen tradition from the biggest consumerist on the planet, USA. It’s uncomfortable viewing. Scenes of brawls, fights and crowds, snatching items off the shelves. It’s made me question my own self, a temptation here, a temptation there (I resisted, I was working after all) but it’s made me wonder how we’re all wired. Wired with this almost primal instinct to grab a bargain, how and when did this happen. If I could take one thing to encourage you to shop this Christmas, if it’s not already too late, is not to over buy. Spend you’re hard earned cashed on the right people in the right places. Spend more time than money with your loved ones.

Cue epiphany from A Christmas Carol.
------

When I incidentally hash tagged my gift guide tweet with #buybritishthischristmas, it hadn't even crossed my mind that such a saying wouldn't have been already utilised. Of course, it seems so obvious. I was just adding to the no doubt huge outpouring of tweets encouraging people to Buy British. But after a curious click I discovered it hadn't been tweeted out in over two years.

The synapses were probably not working up to scratch at 8 am on that Friday. But later on I had a light bulb moment. I'm a huge fan of hashtags. As in I actually use them. They’re like a filing system. You can find exactly what you’re looking for under a #. Numerous, if not the vast majority, of Made in Britain merchandise and brands, I have found searching the internet filing system. And whilst they are often abused (#girl #me #duh #yeah #pout #smile #happy #lfl), when used right, it’s like striking gold.

So I seized my opportunity to use a hashtag to create a collaborative modern day gift guide. All that was needed was a brand or shopper or wish-lister to tweet a link and or picture and the hashtag.  I could then easily find it and hey presto, gift guide.

What I wasn't, and rather naïvely, anticipating was just how relevant the hashtag would be. It’s not just about pushing more consumerism down people’s throats. It’s about the livelihoods of the little guys, the makers, the doers, earning their living. Not just the bag makers, the clothes makers, the jewellery makers etc. Not all the pretty things I often wish upon on these blog pages. It's also about the farmers, the food producers and even the indie shop owners! There’s an awful lot more to Buy British This Christmas.

Anyway, every week, I’ll be rounding up the best of the hashtag gift guide, and sharing on The Mibber. All you need to do is tag your picture, product link and I’ll find it!


 The first suggestions came from Ink and Thread, an indie based in Derby but also have an (Online store, take a gander!). This Striped jumper from Nancy Dee would be well received wrapped under the tree. As too this wonderful Scarf from Karen Mabon, fun and bright, sure to cheer up those grey days we have ahead of us.

Knitwear really is a recurring theme and the lovely Hilary Grant hashtagged this print on Instagram.



For the beauty lover in your life, perhaps not the most obvious answer, how about a hand-woven face mitt, from Minor Goods, I know, what am I suggesting? But seriously, any beauty nut would love a decent first step in the routine, it’s all about the double cleanse these days, and you can’t move for hot cloth facials. So you should probably get them a luxurious clensing oil too, like this one from AS.AP via Content Beauty.



Jewellery as a gift for Christmas is as essential as the box of miniature chocolates, so these delicate heart earrings by Nicola Hurst are a great choice and at a greater price point too. Alternatively this ceramic necklace from Luna and Curious would be a lovely addition to anyones jewellery box. 


It’s no secret I love Rianna Phillips use of print and it's has expanded to include small tech accessories. An abstract iPad case is ideal for fashion techy people. Yes, that’s a type of person. In contrast, Grace Gordon suggested this fab pinky nude backpack, clean lines and simple design add class to the school style shape, elevating it to a must have and we all know how practical one is.


The only suggestion this week for the men comes from Sweater Co. Their Trinity Sweater  made from cotton is affordably priced and comes in a variety of colours.

Finally, the other Gift Guides! Let’s face it, I am cheating, little leg work from me, so it seems only fair to link these great Made in Britain guides. Make it British, has something for everyone you could possibly need to buy for. Although not strictly a Christmas gift guide, Being Content, a beauty boutique, round up their MIB faves here.

Make sure you follow my Pinterest board which I'm updating daily with hashtagged suggestions and my own wishlist. And don’t forget to use #buybritishthischristmas. Please buy as much British as you can this Christmas. Next post goes live on next Thursday (EDIT as in 4th December!)

How many times have I said hashtag in this post.......

Andrea xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground