#WorkoutWeek: Motivation

Thursday 31 July 2014

Apps can be an excellent motivator to get out there and get active.

So I've convinced you to get fit in a achievable way. You're going to need some motivation for that.

Trust me, I still need it.

APPS
I love a good smartphone App to motivate me, (I'm on iOs so sorry that's all I can link) I refuse to switch off those push notifications which tell me when I've been a little slack. But there are SO many it can be difficult to pick one if not have spluge and download lots. The best thing I can say, is find one which tracks your progress in more ways than just inputting your weight. A futile activity. 

I have religiously used Runkeeper to store every outdoor activity. I can programme sprint routines, record long distance runs using GPS and put in all my vital stats. I can even input gym activities. I can see how I'm progressing, whether I'm getting faster or improving my endurance and it tells me how well I'm doing. You can even note down how the workout went. Particularly hard, or getting easier, it's like a little fitness diary. 

There has also been a surge in challenge apps available. 30 day to XX or 5K run trainers. Which are super useful tools for short term motivation to get you in the flow. Search Health and Fitness to find which you want.

Finally, relaxation Apps. I've recently downloaded the Muji To Sleep App. It's super important to rest and this free apps is a collection of soothing sounds to help you switch off.


MUSIC
I am all for a cheesy run to 80s classics singing along to every word, being Rick Astley and never giving up on this run. However, I find the best motivation to get me going is my Working Out playlist on Spotify. 

A start with a nice slow, awkening, warm-up song ala Bombay Bicycle Club and then I'm straight into it, fast paced, strong rhythm, short, sharp and guaranteed to get me moving and my heart pumping. Throw in a few uptempo indie numbers and cheesy happy songs when you're stating to feel delirious (to say the least) and then I cool down to the heavenly voice of Guy Garvey. 

If that's not your jam then I suggest you follow a similar pattern, a softly song with building layers for your warm up, songs with a constant uptempo beat, a few cheesy numbers and sing alongs and then a nice calm song to cool down and stretch out.

You can listen to my playlist below. 


SOCIAL
Can't afford a Personal Trainer to remind you how much you're not working out - well get motivated by social media instead. Now, I know, we're all obsessed with a good Get UP & GO Quote. And I could easily share loads. My Pinterest feed is awash with motivational quotes. But I think it's important that if you want to take fitness seriously, your following preferences also include key fitness motivators. Whether it be a quote junkie in-between the fashion and food pics. Or it helps seeing a group of people working out at 7am encouraging you to get out there. They're like little nudges so it never drops off my radar entirely. It's a proven motivator for me and makes me feel like you're not alone, you can do this and you can get results. And that you want to share your achievements when you do.

Some of my favourites are @thesbcollective and any of his loyal followers. 
@ResultswithLucy reality star to fitness guru.
Youtuber @carlyrowena
And of course @FitnessBlender

But search out fitness or fitspiration on any network and you're sure to find a motivator suitable for your needs. 

I hope this helps and don't forget my original post on staying motivated HERE.

What keeps you motivated? 

Andrea x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground