MIB

Monday 14 October 2013


Buying british has consumed my life. MIB is what I call it, Made In Britain. While I can still see the beauty of non-mib, for me, it's not worth my time or money. It was a question of basic economics in 2012 which lead me down this path. I have discovered a huge following of this mindset and it excites me.

Every time I discover a new (or old) brand manufacturing in the UK, I get excited, create my wishlist and obsess over it's possibilities. While I hugely celebrate British manufacture, I try not to too heavily preach about my beliefs, it's everyone's own personal choice. When I started it was a challenge, could I do it? But achieving it has made me question why I would ever go back. I never have. 

There are exceptions, of course, if the brand isn't British, it's unlikely they'll manufacture here. So Zara for instance, is Spanish, if they manufacture in Spain, I won't question buying it if I like it, might as well support all home manufacture. And shoes, we have a great manufacturing heritage, but other than Juju Jellies, they're all out of price range, I can't afford bespoke made to measure, luxury materials. As much as I want to. So I buy 'local', made in Spain or Italy, it doesn't bruise my conscious too much, whether that's an actual valid argument or ethical or infringes on my beliefs, is another question, one I'm yet to explore, I still need to pay bills more than I need shoes. But at least I am fully aware of the provenance of all the item's I buy. 

And then there's second hand or making it myself. I'm a average sewer, although I long to be as accomplished as Elisalex of ByHand. I collect fabrics and patterns for projects and never do them. Something to aspire to change. And charity shops, I've worked in one, I have no qualms with buying someone else clothes, once you've put them in the wash they're like new. Fashion is cyclical, if I want fast fashion, I seek out the original not the imitation!

I have ethics, I don't believe anyone or thing should suffer for the sake of my own materialistic desire. That being said, I am no vegetarian nor do I avoid leather. But buying British (or local) assures me that UK/EU law governs the manufacture and welfare enough for me not to regret buying.

Actually that's a bit preachy...

Andrea x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground