London College of Fashion: year one.

Thursday 2 August 2012


I’m 23 and I’ve just completed my first year at London College of Fashion.. and passed! Woo. This time last year I hadn’t even applied. It was at the back of my mind and after a, hmmm, somewhat turbulent start to 2011 it was after my birthday (which is today, scheduled post!) last year that I thought I’d just go for it.

I was living between friends houses and my sisters after being heartbroken and made essentially homeless and thought that things need to change. Uni felt like the only option to make a worthy change, a new job wouldn’t have satisfied me yet the prospect of applying for a full-time course via clearing wasn’t an option either. I needed to get my life on track and not run away and start again. I’ve always known that LCF offered part-time courses it was just deciding which one to apply for.

I applied for the Fashion Retail Branding and Visual Merchandising (FRBVM) course. I’ve always been obsessed with fashion. My mother studied at St Martin’s and I was brought up around sewing machines, Vogue and taught to appreciate Liberty print fabric – my obsession continued and I studied textiles throughout my education. After my A-levels though, I chose full-time work and fashion just became an interest not a viable career option. After all, you need experience and internships and I couldn’t afford to do that.

Why did I chose FRBVM? Well having taken a break from study and education, and admittedly my sewing machine, I didn’t have the portfolio or confidence to apply for anything design lead. I worked in retail when I was younger and I was involved in implementing the VM for the store and I always enjoyed the process – but it’s when you’re in the city and look at the department stores windows you really appreciate it as an art. Secondly, it has been my dream to own and create a concept retail space (yes, I’m being very generic) bit like Dover St Market I guess. If I want to do this then I need to know how to brand and visualise it. This course was ideal and I was studying at one of the most prestigious fashion schools in the world. I think I would’ve happily applied for anything.

I was ecstatic when I got my invite to interview – I had less than a week to prep and I went into overdrive. The interview was a test followed by a group interview where we’d present ourselves to half the group. I was up first and it went ok, but I was very intimidated by the others in my group, these people had proper skills – I was just winging it.

Obviously, they must have seen something in me; I had got in.

First term seems like a blur and so long ago. I was travelling down to London three times a week to attend night lectures and studio sessions all day Saturday. It was a massive time and financial commitment. And I’ll admit I struggled. I was still working full-time and crashing at my sisters.

me being vain in uni loos


We were given introductions to everything and being part-time things seemed to take a long time to get off the ground. Our first lecture was an introduction to a yearlong collaboration with Amnesty International. Our first assignment was to design a t-shirt for Amnesty, after finding my feet in the first weeks, I had left it to the last-minute to actually put a design together ready to submit. I had lots of ideas but when it came to digitally designing it nothing seemed to work. I was left to just submit a basic core idea of what I originally wanted to do. To my utter shock, 2 months later, it was announced that I had won and my t-shirt was going to be put in production to be sold in the Amnesty Boxpark store. I couldn’t believe how much my life had changed in 4 months

Amnesty Swing Tag


The past year has been incredible, the course is great and I’ve met some truly amazing people and friends. LCF has changed my life so much for the better and I am so pleased I applied. I never considered uni as an option or that I would have the opportunity to work in fashion. The part-time course can be at times frustrating, not being there or not be able to be at uni as much as you need or would like is hard. Dealing in e-mail and relying on blackboard (UAL intranet) is frustrating in itself, the time and financial commitment is massive, and shouldn’t be underestimated if you are considering applying. When I applied we didn’t have student loans available to us. I received little financial support and the course needed to be self funded which I had to loan from my employers. You don’t have time to see people as much as you like and you’re often knackered. Trying to fit study and assignments around full-time work as well as contact sessions at uni leaves you with almost no time to yourself.  A silly example but, I dyed my hair lilac over Christmas and physically didn’t have the time to do the upkeep.Given the chance though, I’d absolutely do it again, you just find the time to do it all, you learn to manage and adapt and you learn to afford everything. I managed to set up a blog, train for a mammoth walk (Trailwalker) and I am currently in the process of exploring ethical fashion label called adore + endure. Things I never considered I’d do a year ago let alone have the time for. I also live independently again (yay!) and have met a very lovely boy. I have the best friends (old and new) and amazing family and so much support that they put up with me.

I can’t wait for next term. I am so inspired to do my best and get a good grade out of this course. We’re working on something very exciting next term too. I might not become a world class visual merchandiser after this, I accept this, but the creativity it has inspired in me and the confidence that it has given me to go on and make something from my life and more importantly, something I want to do, is amazing and something I never knew I’d feel.

If you’re considering applying, just do it. It will change your life, just prepare to be committed. But you won’t regret it, at times you will struggle, but carry on and believe in yourself.

Ok, this is starting to turn a bit cheesy. But yeah. Do it. And let me know what you applying for!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground